Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Owwww!!

There are so many things I want to write about: I want to write more about my trip to Cuba. I want to continue the series of letters that I started on this blog (so far, I have only one, so I guess it's not technically a “series” yet). I want to start a fresh writing project that's been churning in my mind recently – it's a short play, really a series (there's that word again!) of monologues.

But, I have a headache. And it has taken over all other thoughts, and has interfered with all of my brainwaves. If I sit perfectly still, I'm all right. The instant I turn my head in any direction, or, turn my eyes for that matter, the back of my head begins to throb and I feel as though I'm going to fall over. And, believe me, falling over is not a good idea right now, as I'd be hitting my head against a particularly sharp corner of the coffee table. This headache started last night, while I was lying in bed, and simply refuses to go away, despite my attempts to drown it with soups and juices galore. It's getting worrisome, like the uninvited guest that doesn't leave at the end of the night. I rarely get sick. I never get cramps or headaches during my periods; I've taken only one sick day from work ever; I've never gotten a nosebleed, EVER, and have not thrown up since I was a small child; I could eat and drink anything, with nary an effect on me. But now, I have a headache, and I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'd go and pour myself another glass of orange juice, but that would involve moving. When I came home for lunch today, I was wondering whether it was wise to return to work this afternoon. I did return, as I thought it would be better than lying on the couch and crying over my hurting head. At least my students would cheer me up – and they did.

I've been back at work for two days, and it's been two days of heaven. My students have been sweet angels. A sorely-missed co-worker has returned to work, and I could not help but smile whenever I saw her – I literally “beamed.” These two workdays have gone by unbelievably quickly. When I arrived back in Inuvik last Friday, I was dreading resuming my regular routine. I spent the entire weekend pacing back and forth, being completely unproductive, and wishing I were still in Cuba. Now that I'm back in the swing of things, I'm glad to be back. The semester is coming to a swift end in a few weeks, which means that the school year is almost halfway over. Time to assess where I should be in the fall, perhaps? Maybe that's why I have a headache.... 

2 comments:

  1. Hope that you're feeling better. Nice to hear that you've been enjoying your work at least, and that it's not an added stress for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, headache? I've never seen you sick a day in your life, other than those mysterious "allergies". Chin up!

    ReplyDelete