Saturday, July 12, 2008

Meme as distraction

It’s early Saturday morning (12:30 am, actually), my last Saturday in this house. I had gone to the Great Northern Arts Festival opening ceremony on Friday evening, my last arts festival in Inuvik. I took in the traditional drum-dancing and the throat-singing. Instead of mulling over how conflicted I still feel about leaving the North, I’m going to fall back on a meme:

What were you doing five years ago?
I was finishing my teaching degree at UBC, in the midst of my last summer courses, after surviving my semester-long practicum, the most stressful time of my life to-date. I was faxing my resume everywhere in Canada except for the Vancouver area, getting ready to take the leap.

What are five things on your to-do list today?
1. Go and see my good friend R off on his vacation.
2. Go to the café to meet other friends for our weekly venting session.
3. Try to finish cleaning the house. (I know I won’t accomplish this, but time is running out before my out-inspection on Tuesday!)
4. Take my dinky piano keyboard over to my friend P’s house, and maybe bum a dinner off as part of the deal.
5. Lounge around and try to be content about the state of things.

What are five snacks you enjoy?
1. Ice-cream
2. Chocolate, the darker the better
3. Fruit, particularly cut up in bite-sized pieces
4. Crackers, the blander the better (I LOVE unsalted stoned wheat thins)
5. Guacamole with tortilla chips (as opposed to tortilla chips with guacamole)

What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?
1. Buy a house on the west coast of Vancouver Island, one that faces the ocean and has arbutus trees leaning over the water.
2. Go to Africa and work in various villages as a volunteer for years.
3. Give my friends and family all new cars, houses, and charter a cruise for a fabulous vacation for all of us.
4. Write.
5. Earn multiple PhD’s.
* I’ve decided to go with all “selfish” wishes for my five instead of setting up charities, scholarships, funds, etc. to help others, but really, if I were a billionaire, there’s plenty of room for additional wishes....  I’m just in a selfish, self-pitying mood right now.

What are five jobs you’ve had?
1. Babysitter
2. Café Staff (I'd dare not call me a “cook.”)
3. Music Theory Instructor
4. Piano Instructor
5. High School Teacher
* I was trying my best to stretch my limited work experience into five job titles, as you can see.

1 comment:

  1. I just tripped over your blog as you are leaving. Having spent many years in the north (and some in Tuk, Sachs Harbour and Inuvik) not to mention the Kivalliq and Baffin regions of the circumpolar world, I understand some of the angst, sorrow, anxiety, excitement and confusion that leaving the north entails.

    Your blog was well thought and fun to read and I did read all the posts. You will do well wherever you land.

    Breathe.

    ReplyDelete