Tuesday, August 04, 2009

What do you do?

Why is it that one of the first questions that pops up upon meeting a new acquaintance is "What do you do?" Yes, a person's occupation is undoubtedly an important part of his/her life; however, since when does it tell you what that person is really all about?

What do you do?

The expected response: I was a teacher; I am soon-to-be a student; I hope to be a speech pathologist.

The real response: I read fiction voraciously, and dabble in poetry. I play and occasionally write music. I love my friends and family, but regret that I don't tell them enough. I like to watch people and the world. I worry a lot, but hopefully dream even more. I cry easily, but also laugh at unexpected things. I love to eat, but rarely cook. I dance when no one is watching. I am afraid of the dark, except when camping out under the stars. I blog and journal, and was flattered when a stranger once commented that s/he had read every single post on my blog. I am learning to need external validation less, and to cherish myself more. I struggle with many insecurities, but am an optimist despite everything. I do what I do partly because I have to, but mostly because I want to. And I'll always question everything: It's not just something I do, but something I am.

2 comments:

  1. Well then just say that. You don't have to answer their question the way they expected you to.

    Personally I like to tell people what I do, it DOES define who I am or at least who I want people to think I am. Plus, you never know if they might be able to get me a job some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to ask people that when I first meet them. I mean, it'll either come up anyway, and if it doesn't, then it's not the most important thing to know about that person.

    ReplyDelete